Rhodes research

Go to content

Main menu:

Articles from 1884 part 1

Milton Lilbourne > Articles 1880s


Articles from 1884 (part 1)

The Marlborough Times, 12th January 1884:
Pewsey Petty Sessions
CHARLES RUTT was summoned for disobeying a Justice's order to contribute 6d weekly towards the maintenance of his mother, a pauper chargeable to the Pewsey Union. Mr BAKER, the collector, proved that defendant had paid nothing since the order was made. The Bench ordered a distress warrant to be issued.

The Marlborough Times, 10th May 1884:
Milton Rangers Cricket Club
The club held its annual meeting on Monday, in Mr GILBERT'S parish room. There were present Messrs C. REDMAN, W. & J. KINGSTONE, T. FERRIS, FORD, FOOKES, LANE, PEARCE, GILBERT, SKINNER, CARTER etc. Mr REDMAN, having been voted to the chair, opened the business by reading the accounts for the past year, which were found to be in a very satisfactory state, over 3 being in hand. Mr REDMAN kindly granted the use of his meadow as a practicing ground until the cricket ground is available. Practicing nights to be Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Boys under 16 to pay 6d on entering. This rule would be strictly enforced. Mr JAMES KINGSTONE was re-elected Captain, Mr J. FORD was also re-elected Secretary and Treasurer. After the business of a formal character, the newly-formed string band of the village gave a selection of music, after which the meeting closed.

The Marlborough Times, 5th July 1884:
Fatal accident to an infant
On Saturday afternoon last an infant 10 weeks old was killed on the highway at Granham. Two young mothers came by carrier to Marlborough from the village of Milton with their infants to purchase perambulators. This they did at Mr CORNELIUS NEATE'S, and having placed their children in the perambulators they returned homewards. Reaching Granham Cottages both women went in to ask for a drink of water, probably heated with their exertions in ascending the hill. Unfortunately, they left their infants in the perambulators by the roadside, and in a few minutes that intervened a miller's wagon with two horses, belonging to Mr DELL and driven by his man DANCE, passed along, and not seeing the perambulators DANCE drove against them, overturning them both, whereby one child was so injured that it died an a quarter of an hour, and the other escaped with a shaking. Both perambulators were broken to pieces. The deceased was named as ALBERT WILLIAM STAGG, son of a labourer, living in Milton near Pewsey.

An inquest on the body was held at Granham on Monday morning, before Mr Coroner BAKER and jury.
LOUISE JANE STAGG of Milton, near Pewsey, said: "I am the wife of WILLIAM STAGG, labourer. The child was my son and was ten weeks old. On Saturday about 3.30, after I had been into Marlborough with Mrs STAGG and bought two perambulators, I was returning home, with both our children in the perambulators. When opposite Granham Cottages, we left the two perambulators in the road with the children in them to procure a drink of water. A little girl brought us the water out. We did not go out of sight of the perambulators. I saw the waggon coming up the hill towards Marlborough. I could not see if there were two horses or not. The waggon was in the middle of the road when I saw it. The perambulators were in the road close to the green. They were left one in front of the other. The front wheels of the waggon first grazed the perambulator. The wheel did not touch the child at all. The deceased was tied in the perambulator. There was plenty of time to have saved the child if the man had stopped when MARY STAGG screamed out. The waggon was high on both sides and the man was sitting down with his back towards the perambulators and the children. The man went on and did not come back or say anything. The horses were walking slowly." In answer to questions from the jurymen, she said: "The driver did ask what was the matter, and MARY STAGG said 'You have killed one child and nearly the other.' The man then said 'You should have moved them out of the way.'"

MARY ANN STAGG deposed: "I live at Fyfield near Milton . On Saturday 28th June I went into Marlborough with the last witness and we purchased two perambulators. We were returning home with the children in the perambulators when, at Granham Cottages, we put our carriages close to the grass and we went in and asked a little girl for a drink of water which she brought out and gave to Mrs STAGG. Shortly afterwards I saw the waggon come along and push one of the perambulators and I screamed instantly. I also immediately ran up to look for my baby and picked it up from off the road. My carriage had an umbrella over it. I cannot say where the other baby was. I saw the waggon before it reached the perambulators coming to a wall, and the man was sitting at the head of the waggon. The wheels of the waggon pushed the perambulators along. When the deceased child was picked up it was alive and breathing. I was so frightened I did not know anything of the time. Mrs STAGG'S child lived for about a quarter of an hour or twenty minutes after the accident. The waggon was in the centre of the road when we left our perambulators. The driver was coming carelessly or leisurely."

JAMES DANCE, sworn, said: "I am a carter in the employ of Mr DELL of Marlborough. I had been on Saturday to Mrs PYE'S in the Park with a load of flour with a waggon and two horses. When returning, I sat in the waggon driving with reins. On the Granham road I never saw either the wowmen or the perambulators until I was called out at by the last witness. The woman came out and said 'You devil, you have been and killed one and knocked over both of the children'. I did not go back - I would not leave the horses but went on, saying they ought not have left the perambulators in the road. I never saw the perambulators. I was sitting with my back towards them. I did not feel the waggon touch the perambulators. I did not know it was so serious or I should have stayed. I had had no beer." In answer to the jurymen he said "I was in the middle of the road and 200 yards away when the women came out screaming. The horses had sometimes stopped at the cottage where the women were."

Mr WILLIAMSON MRCS, assistant to Dr MAURICE, said he was called on Saturday afternoon about 4.30 and got up to Granham Cottages. In about half an hour after the accident he found the child brought into the cottages dead. It was very much bruised on the cheek, and blood was running from the ear. It had a bruise on the base of its skull. The wheels of the waggon could not have passed over the head without the skull being crushed to a pulp. There was a patch of blood two feet and a half from the side of the road. The other child was not injured beyond a shaking as far as he saw.

Mr Coroner BAKER, addressing the jury, said that if the evidence they had heard proved criminal negligence on the part of DANCE it would be tantamount to a charge of manslaughter, but he hardly thought that it could be sustained. He pointed out that where the accident happened the road was 15 feet wide and that there was 12 feet of grass between that and the gate of the cottages on which the mothers might have left their perambulators and children. Mr DELL Jnr gave DANCE a very good character. He had been 17 years in his father's employ and was a trustworthy man.

The jury took some time in consultation and recalled several of the witnesses, minutely cross-examining DANCE. Ultimately they returned the following verdict. - 'That the deceased died from fracture of the base of the skull caused by being accidentally thrown out of a perambulator.' The jury also requested the Coroner to give DANCE a severe reprimand, as they considered him to have been guilty of great negligence. The Coroner accordingly reprimanded DANCE and hoped this would be a caution to him. If he had been in drink the jury would have been bound to find him guilty of manslaughter. On the proposition of Mr JOHN DUCK, the jurymen handed their fees to the bereaved mother.

Deaths: June 19th at Bletchley, Bucks, after a few hours of illness, THOMAS, eldest son of H.W. SOMERSET, surgeon, late of Milton, Pewsey.

<back to 1883 part 2

forward to 1884 part 2>

Home Page | Milton Lilbourne | The Romford Outrage | The Dagenham Murder | Foul Deeds book | Dagenham Girl Pipers | Talks and events | Site Map

Back to content | Back to main menu