Rhodes research

Go to content

Main menu:

Articles from 1886 part 1

Milton Lilbourne > Articles 1880s


Articles from 1886 (part 1)

The Marlborough Times, 6th February 1886:
Pewsey Petty Sessions
CHARLES HIBBERD, of Kingsbury Terrace, Marlborough, was summoned by Mr JAMES J. KINGSTONE, of Broomsgrove, Milton, for assisting in clandestinely removing goods to avoid distress. Mr KINGSTONE said he was the owner of a house and land at Littleworth, Milton. A man named ALBERT LEE was his tenant. At Michaelmas last there was a year's rent due, 42 10s. He had given orders for proceedings to be taken for its recovery. On the 27th December he passed the house and saw that goods had been removed. He was aware that LEE had a horse and cart worth 10. He also had several pigs, and the furniture in his house was worth upwards of 20.

GEORGE DAVIS said that he was working for ALBERT LEE at Littleworth about Christmas. He knew the defendant CHARLES HIBBERD. He lodged with LEE. On the 26th December LEE left with his wife and family between 8 and 9 o'clock in the evening. The defendant had not been there that day. LEE left a strange man there. Defendant came at about 8 o'clock the next morning. On Monday 28th he saw CHARLES HIBBERD there again. HIBBERD and another man moved some straw away. He afterwards heard Mr DEADMAN forbid HIBBERD from moving anything without permission. After Mr DEADMAN left he saw the defendant and a man named Hughes remove a turnip cutter. He told them to put it back but they took no notice.

HENRY WILLIAM DEADMAN said that on Monday 28th December he was sent to Milton to enquire for ALBERT LEE. He went to LEE'S house between 11 and 12, and found that he and his family had left, and that the bulk of the furniture had been removed.....Superintendent PEARCE said he had tried to issue LEE with a summons, but had not succeeded. Defendant said he did not know he was doing anything wrong. He simply helped LEE, who was an old friend of his.

The court was then cleared, and after long deliberation the Bench gave their decision as follows - that the defendant be ordered to pay 20, being double the value of the goods proved to have been removed; a distress warrant to be issued, to be held over for a week; and that in default of sufficient distress the defendant to be committed to prison for 6 calendar months with hard labour.

The Marlborough Times, February 27th 1886:
Sheep cages for sale. Made from well-seasoned wood. Price 1 per dozen. Apply to S. REYNOLDS, Milton, Pewsey.
[same issue]
A musical entertainment, interspersed with readings, was given in the schoolroom on Friday evening, and proved most enjoyable to a crowded audience. The first part of the programme opened with an instrumental trio, followed by a vocal trio. Mrs DIXON then sang 'Midsummer Day' in her accomplished style, after which followed a reading by Mr LANE, entitled 'Sam Weller's valentine'. The duet 'The swallows come' was prettily rendered by Miss GALE and Miss KIMBER. Mr HART followed with a song 'The watchman', sung in so masterly a style as to gain an encore, and in reply he gave 'The dumb wife', a song of humorous character which was much enjoyed. The double quartet 'Farewell' from members of the choir brought the first part to a close.

After an interval of a few minutes the second part opened with a piano solo by Mrs HAYWARD; this lady's playing seemed to afford much pleasure to those present. The song 'Black-eyed Susan' sung by Miss GALE received a deserved encore, as did also the song 'Three fishers' which followed, sung by the Rev. O. PUCKRIDGE. The Rev J.H. GALE was most amusing in his story of the farmer's wife suffering with the toothache, the audience being kept in roars of laughter the whole time. Miss KIMBER then gave a solo 'Chop waltz' on the 'Gigelira', in a very effective manner, and it was redemanded. Mrs DIXON'S song 'Two's company' was a first class performance and had to be repeated. The quartet 'Softly fall the shades of evening', sung without accompaniment, did great credit to the performers, and was well received. The National Anthem brought a most successful entertainment to a close.

The Marlborough Times, March 13th 1886:
To be let : a comfortable dwelling-house, with good garden. Rent 10 a year. Possession may be had at once. Apply to Mr H.J. FORD, Milton.

The Marlborough Times, April 24th 1886:
JOHN SOMERSET elected as member for Milton on Pewsey Board of Guardians.

The Marlborough Times, May 1st 1886:
Births: April 16th, at the Vinery, Milton, the wife of Mr J. CARTER, of a son.

The Marlborough Times, June 19th 1886:
Pewsey Petty Sessions
Cruelty to a boy.
ALFRED GUILDFORD, of New Mill, Milton, was summoned for assaulting GEORGE WAITE. From the evidence it appears that the lad GEORGE WAITE, who is a nephew of the defendant's wife, came from the Chippenham workhouse to reside with the defendant, who seems to have treated the lad with habitual cruelty, continually striking and kicking him, and locking him in a coal hole. His conduct got noised abroad until it reached the ears of the police, who then made enquiries into the case, with the result that the defendant was summoned. WILLIAM STAGG said that on the 8th May as he was passing the defendant's stable he saw the defendant knock the lad WAITE down with his hand, and then kick him three times when he was lying on the ground. SARAH CANN said that on 20th April she saw the defendant strike the lad to the ground by repeated blows from a whip....
[a long description of the evidence follows]
...the defendant was convicted and sentenced to two months' imprisonment with hard labour and to pay 18s costs. The lad WAITE was sent to Pewsey workhouse pending his removal to Chippenham workhouse.

<back to 1884 part 2

forward to 1886 part 2>

Home Page | Milton Lilbourne | The Romford Outrage | The Dagenham Murder | Foul Deeds book | Dagenham Girl Pipers | Talks and events | Site Map

Back to content | Back to main menu