Rhodes research


Go to content

Main menu:


Articles from 1897 part 3

Milton Lilbourne > Articles 1890s

NEWS FROM MILTON LILBOURNE, 1848-1909

Articles from 1897 (part 3)

The Marlborough Times, October 2nd 1897
Band of Hope.
A large quantity of flowers, fruit and vegetables have been sent to the Shirley Children's Hospital from the members of the Milton Labourers' Band of Hope and other kind friends, per Miss L.G. PENRUDDOCKE of Fyfield Lodge.

[same date]
A new organ for Milton Lilbourne
At Milton parish church on Wednesday there were two services on the occasion of the dedication of the new organ, which has been recently bought with funds collected by the Vicar and his friends. The church was crowded, both in the afternoon and evening, by the parishioners and persons living in the neighbourhood, many too coming from a distance. In the afternoon at 3 o'clock, the Ven. Archdeacon of Wilts held a service for the benediction of the organ, when Psalms 134 & 150 were sung, and also the hymns 'We love the place, O God' and 'Angel voices ever singing'. After the benediction, the cantata 'The Holy City' by A.R. Gaul was successfully rendered.

The orchestra was composed as follows: organ, Mr A.W.S. SALTER; violins, Miss E.F. SWEET, Mr A.W. CARPENTER, Miss CHITTY & Mr SAUNDERS; viola, Miss GWILLIM; violoncello, Rev C.G. CLARKE & Mr HOOPER. Soloists: soprano, Miss BAUMGARTEN and Mrs SWEET; contralto, Miss K. NEWMAN & Miss SWEET; tenor, Mr WYNDHAM NEWMAN & Rev W.H. KEWLEY; bass, Mr J. STURTON & Rev W. JACOB. The chorus consisted of members of the choir, assisted by ladies and gentlemen in the parish and the neighbourhood. The conductor was Mr W.S. BAMBRIDGE, Mus.Bac.

The instrument pieces, the introduction 'Contemplation' and the intermezzo 'Adoration' were very nicely rendered by the orchestra, and Mr SALTER played the organ with his usual skill. The chorus and quartettes were very well rendered and showed that great pains had been taken in their preparation, first of all by Mr & Mrs SWEET and lately by Mr BAMBRIDGE, to all of whom great credit is due. The semi-chorus 'The firing pot is for silver' was especially good. The tenor air 'My soul is athirst for God' was nicely sung by Mr NEWMAN, as was the trio 'It shall come to pass' by Mrs SWEET, Mrs CARPENTER and Miss NEWMAN. Miss NEWMAN also showed great skill in the air 'Eyes hath not seen'.

The Rev W.H. KEWLEY gave the air 'To the Lord our God belong mercies' remarkably well and with great expression, and Mr JOHN STURTON sang with credit the long bass solo 'Behold I create new heavens'. Miss BAUMGARTEN, who took the place of Miss RAVENHILL at very short notice, sang with great effect 'These are they'. The Rev W. JACOB's solo 'Come ye blessed' was very good. In fact, it was generally agreed by those who were present that the whole cantata was capitally given. The cantata was again rendered at 7pm and afterwards Mr BAMBRIDGE played a selection on the organ. The collection amounted to 12 17s 6d.

The organ was erected to the memory of the late Rev J.H. GALE who was vicar of the parish from 1846 to 1893, and a brass plate to that effect has been fixed. The organ was built by Messrs Griffin & Stroad and the following is a description of it: Great Organ - open diapason, 8 feet, 56 pipes; dulcians, 8 feet, 44 pipes; clarabella, 8 feet, 56 pipes; wald ftote, 4 feet, 86 pipes; Swell organ - horn diapason, 8 feet, 56 pipes; keraulophon, 8 feet, 44 pipes; lieblick, 8 feet, 56 pipes; principle, 4 feet, 56 pipes. Pedal organ - bourdon, 16 feet, 30 pipes. Couplere - swell to pedals, great to pedals, swell to great. 2 octaves of pedals ( College of Organists ' scale). Total 12 stops 454 pipes.

The Marlborough Times, October 9th 1897:
Parish council.
A quarterly meeting was held on Monday. Present: Messrs REDMAN (chairman), WELLS, SPACKMAN, HEAD, DEADMAN, STAGG & T.ELLIS (clerk). Mr C. STAGG drew attention to the water flowing over the footpath leading to the paddock near Mrs ANNETTS' gateway. The chairman undertook to see Mrs ANNETTS on the matter. Mr WELLS brought forward the necessity of providing a bier for the parish, either by voluntary subscriptions or from the rates. After some discussion in which all the councillors were agreed that a bier was very necessary for such a widely scattered parish, it was decided to obtain estimates of the cost of a bier and a house in which to keep it and to discuss ways and means at the next meeting.

The Marlborough Times, November 13th 1897:
Parish Meeting.
A parish meeting convened by the parish council was held on the 29th ult. to discuss the best means of providing a wheeled bier for the use of the parish. Mr C. REDMAN presided. The attendance was small. Several price lists of new and second-hand biers were produced, the prices ranging from 7 to 15 10s. The unanimous opinion of the meeting was in favour of a suitable bier for the parish, but it was decided that a special canvass of the whole parish be made to ascertain the amount of voluntary subscriptions which could be obtained before further steps were taken in the matter. Messrs WELLS, SPACKMAN, STAGG, DEADMAN and ELLIS undertook to collect subscriptions and the meeting adjourned.

At the adjourned meeting held on Monday last, the collectors handed in their lists. The total of both promised and received subscriptions amounted to 12 16s 6d. Mr C. REDMAN was appointed treasurer. The meeting decided that the bier and house (when purchased) be vested in the parish council as trustees. A discussion took place respecting the charge to be made for the use of the bier, the feeling of the meeting being in favour of a fee of 2s 6d being made to cover the cost of a man in charge, cleaning etc., but no decision was arrived at.

The Marlborough Times, November 20th 1897:
Deaths: November 16th at Milton Manor, Wilts, JANE, widow of the late WILLIAM FERRIS, aged 64. No flowers.

The Marlborough Times, November 27th 1897:
Funeral of the late Mrs FERRIS
The funeral of the late Mrs FERRIS, of the Manor House, Milton , took place on Saturday last and invoked universal sympathy. Never since the burial of the late Vicar Rev. J.H. GALE has such a large concourse of people assembled to pay their last respects to one who in life had always been ready to comfort and relieve the sick and aged. Mrs FERRIS was also ever willing to help with her counsel and support any good work for the benefit of others, and her memory will long remain in the annals of Milton .

A quarter to three was the hour fixed for the funeral cortege to leave the Manor for the church, where it was met by the Vicar who conducted the service. Before leaving the church, the favourite hymn of the deceased lady, 'Safe in the arms of Jesus', was sung by her bible class of young women and girls, accompanied on the organ by Mrs SWEET, and the subdued singing of the vast congregation was very effective. At the graveside the scene was most impressive; the dark dull November afternoon seemed quite in keeping with the sombre garb and deep grief of the hundreds present.

The grave, which was of brick, was lined with moss and ivy tastefully arranged by Miss BAKER, Mrs JEANS and others. The coffin was of panelled oak, with brass fittings, and bore the following inscription: 'JANE FERRIS. Died 16th November 1897. Aged 64 years'. Mr H. SPACKMAN of Milton efficiently carried out all the arrangements. There were no flowers (by request) except one wreath from the Rev & Mrs J.R. PAWLEY SMITH and a small bunch of chrysanthemums 'From BILL and JANE, in memory of a kind mistress'.

On Sunday morning the church was again crowded with a sympathetic congregation. Appropriate hyms were sung: no.221 A.& M. 'Let saints on Earth in concert sing', no.234 'O Paradise! O Paradise!', no.499 'On the Resurrection morning'. The lessons too were very appropriate, especially the first lessons taken from Eccles. xi & xii. The Vicar, taking his text from Rev. vi, 2 "White robes were given to very one of them and it was said unto them that they should rest yet for a little season", preached a most eloquent and impressive sermon and one which will long be remembered by those present.

"Thou art gone to the grave! - but 'twere vain to deplore thee,
When God was thy Ransome, thy Guardian and Guide.
He gave thee, He took Thee and He will restore Thee
And death hath no sting since the Saviour hath died." HEBER

The Marlborough Times, December 4th 1897:
In Memoriam.

The late Mrs FERRIS was well known throughout a very large circle of friends extending far beyond the parish in which she lived, for her great liberality and Christian charity. She was a sound loyal Churchwoman, holding firmly to the evangelical form of worship, but was ever ready with heart and purse to help any denomination, frequently quoting 'Grace, mercy and truth be with all who love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity'. She was a warm supporter of the British and Foreign Bible Society, the Church Missionary Society, S.A. Mission (of which she was the local secretary), Dr Barnardo's Homes and kindred societies. Not only will her Bible class of young women and girls greatly miss her loving teaching, but so will everyone in the village, as she took her regular walks among them dispensing material as well as spiritual comfort. At the funeral, as recorded last week, the church was full to the utmost. Among those present were several neighbouring clergymen, as well as their sympathy for the sorrowing relatives and friends. The deceased lady was laid to rest in the same grave as her late husband Mr WILLIAM FERRIS on the 31st anniversary of their wedding day.

<back to 1897 part 2

forward to 1899 part 1>



Home Page | Milton Lilbourne | The Romford Outrage | The Dagenham Murder | Foul Deeds book | Dagenham Girl Pipers | Talks and events | Site Map




Back to content | Back to main menu