Rhodes research

Go to content

Main menu:

Kelly's Directory 1889

Milton Lilbourne > Trade directory listings

from Kelly's Directory of Wiltshire, 1899

[Please note that the contents of this page have not yet been added to the surname index]

Milton Lilborne is a parish, 7 miles south from Marlborough and 2 east from Pewsey, in the eastern division of the county, hundred of Kinwardstone, Everleigh and Pewsey petty sessional division, union of Pewsey, Marlborough county court district, rural deanery of Marlborough Pewsey portion, archdeaconry of Wilts and diocese of Salisbury; it comprises three tithings, viz: Milton, Fifield and Clench.
The church of St Peter, a very ancient stone structure, built at various dates, commencing from the 10 century, chiefly in the Early English style, consists of chancel, nave of four bays and north aisle, south porch, with square embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 6 bells; the chancel was restored in 1864; the whole of the church was restored in 1875 at a cost of £845, from plans by Mr J.L. Pearson ARA when, in the north aisle, which at some earlier period had formed the nave, there was discovered the founder’s tomb in a splendid state of preservation: there is also a rood loft: the church has 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1686. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £139 10s exclusive of 18 acres of glebe land and house, in the patronage of and held since 1846 by the
Rev. John Henry Gale BA of Wadham College, Oxford, JP for Wilts. Here is a Wesleyan chapel.
The Kennet & Avon Canal passes through the northern portion of the parish at New Mill. Fyfield (or Fifield) Manor House is in the Elizabethan style and occupied by
Mrs Penruddocke; and has been the residence of the Penruddocke family for several generations. Charles Penruddocke esq, of Compton Park, Salisbury, the Somerset Hospital, Froxfield, Sir J.D. Astley, bart., J. Somerset esq, and Edwin Merriman esq. are the principal owners of the land, which is freehold. The soil is sand and clay; subsoil, chalk and gravel. The chief crops are corn, roots and grass. The area is 3,502 acres; rateable value, £2,746; the population in 1881 was 599.
Clench is a tithing, 2 miles north; Fifield is a tithing, 1 mile west; the hamlet of New Mill is 1 mile north; the hamlet of Little Salisbury, half a mile west; and Little Ann, 1 mile west.
Parish clerk,
Charles STAGG.
Post Office –
Elijah GILBERT, receiver. Letters through Pewsey S.O. arrive at 7.30am; dispatched at 6pm; Sundays, 11.5am. the nearest money order & telegraph office is at Pewsey.
Pillar Box, at Little Ann, cleared at 6.30pm; Sunday, 11.30am.
A School Board of 5 members was formed April 11 1876;
Rev. J.H. GALE, chairman & clerk to the board.
Board School (mixed), built in 1876, for 106 children; average attendance, 75; Mr
John LANE, master.
Carrier –
George SPACKMAN, to Pewsey, tues; to Devizes, thurs; to Marlborough, sat.

Private residents

FERRIS George, Manor House
FERRIS Mrs, Manor House
GALE Rev John Henry, BA, JP, Vicarage
GULLIVER William Hutchins
, Havering House
HINTON Misses, Clench
Fyfield Manor House
SOMERSET John, King Hall


DEW Joseph, farmer
FERRIS George, land & estate agent & valuer
FERRIS Simon, miller (water), New Mill
FORD Henry John, farm bailiff to George FERRIS esq.
GILBERT Elijah, grocer, Post Office
GOODMAN Jn, beer retailer, Little Salisbury
HAYWARD Henry, farmer, Clench
HEAD James sen., carrier &c
KINGSTON William James, farmer, Broomsgrove
MARSH Charles, farm bailiff to Charles Penruddocke esq.
MARTIN William, farmer, Littleworth
REDMAN Charles, farmer
REYNOLDS Shadrach, farmer, land measurer & collector of rates & taxes
SKINNER George, baker & carpenter
SOMERSET John, farmer & landowner
SPACKMAN Stephen, carpenter
WELLS George, farmer, Totteridge

<back to Post Office Directory 1875

forward to Lucy's Marlborough & District Directory 1897>

Home Page | Milton Lilbourne | The Romford Outrage | The Dagenham Murder | Foul Deeds book | Dagenham Girl Pipers | Talks and events | Site Map

Back to content | Back to main menu