Rhodes research


Go to content

Main menu:


Kelly's Directory 1899

Milton Lilbourne > Trade directory listings

from Kelly's Directory of Wiltshire, 1899

[Please note that the contents of this page have not yet been added to the surname index]

MILTON LILBOURNE
is a parish, 2 miles east from Pewsey station on the Great Western railway, and 7 south from Marlborough, in the Eastern division of the county, hundred of Kinwardstone, Everleigh and Pewsey petty sessional division, union of Pewsey, Marlborough county court district, rural deanery of Marlborough (Pewsey portion), archdeaconry of Wilts and diocese of Salisbury. The Kennet and Avon canal passes through the northern portion of the parish at New Mill.

The church of St Peter is an ancient building of stone and dating originally from the 11th century but now chiefly in the Early English style and consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 6 bells; the chancel was restored in 1864 and the whole church in 1875 at a cost of 845, under the direction of the late Mr
J.L. PEARSON R.A. when the founder's tomb was discovered in the north aisle: the church has 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1686. The living is a vicarage, yearly value 130, including 18 acres of glebe land and residence, in the gift of Mrs GALE, of Weston, Bath , and held since 1893 by the Rev. Charles Francis Long SWEET M.A. of Keble College, Oxford. Here is a Wesleyan chapel, built about 1854, and seating 50 persons.

Near Milton Hill is a large tumulus. Fyfield Manor House, the property of
Charles PENRUDDOCKE esq., is an ancient mansion in the Elizabethan style: Charles II once stayed at this house one night on his way to Newbury. Charles PENRUDDOCKE esq. D.L., J.P., of Compton Park, Salisbury, who is lord of the manor, the trustees of the Somerset Hospital, Froxfield, Sir Francis E.G. ASTLEY-CORBETT, bart., D.L., J.P., of 57 Sloane street, London S.W., Edward SOMERSET, Edwin MERRIMAN and George FERRIS esqs. are the principal landowners.

The soil is sand and clay; subsoil, chalk and gravel. The chief crops are corn, roots and pasture land. The area is 3,502 acres; rateable value, 3,055; the population in 1891 was 590.
Clench is a tithing, 2 miles north; Fyfield is a tithing, 1 mile west; the hamlet of New Mill is 1 mile north; the hamlet of Little Salisbury, half a mile west.

Parish Clerk,
Charles STAGG.
Post, M.O. & T.O., T.M.O., Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office. -
James DAY, sub-postmaster. Letters through Pewsey S.O. arrive at 7.10 am & 2.55 pm ; sundays, 7.10 am; dispatched at 10.55 am & 5.55 pm ; sundays, 11am.
Wall letter box, Little Ann, cleared at 11.15 am & 6.30 pm ; sundays, 11.35 am.

A School Board of 5 members was formed 11 April 1876 ;
Thomas ELLIS, clerk to the board and attendance officer.

Board School (mixed), built in 1876, for 106 children; average attendance, 70;
John LANE, master.

Carriers to Marlborough . -
Edward SPACKMAN, tues. & sat, & James HEAD, sat.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

ANNETTS Mrs, Vinery
CARPENTER William Alfred, Havering lo.
DIROM Mrs, Fyfield Manor house
FERRIS George, Manor house
FERRIS Thomas H.S.
FOX Alfred, Clench house
GALE Mrs, Havering House
JEANS Mark, King hall
LEWIS Mrs, Fern villa
MALCOLMSON Mrs, Cumberland Cottage
PENRUDDOCKE Miss, Fyfield lodge
SAMUELLS Miss, Fyfield Manor
SOMERSET Miss, Eastleigh
SWEET Rev. Chas. Fras. Long M.A. (Vicar)

COMMERCIAL

BARRETT, Frederick William, farmer, Sunnylands
CARPENTER William Alfred, professor of the violin & artist, Havering lo.
DEW Arthur O., farmer, Milton farm
ELLIS Thomas, clerk to the school board, rate collector & attendance officer, Littleworth
FERRIS & Puckridge, land & estate agents & valuers
FERRIS Simon, miller (water & steam), maltster & farmer, New Mill
FORD Henry John, farmer & cattle dealer, Middle Farm
GILBERT Elijah, grocer, baker & draper
GILFORD Alfred, farmer, Fyfield
GILFORD James, farmer, Fyfield
GOODMAN Jn, beer ret., Lit. Salisbury
HEAD James, carrier & farmer
HEAD John, thatcher
KIMBER James Duck, blacksmith
KINGSTONE Wm. Jn., farmer, Broomsgrove
REDMAN Chas., farmer, The Lawn
REYNOLDS A. Alfred, farmer & land measurer, Kinghall farm
REYNOLDS Shadrach, frmr., land measurer, castrator & tax collector
SKINNER George, baker & grocer
SPACKMAN Edward, carrier
SPACKMAN Henry, carpenter, Littlewrth
SHALTON Alfred, farmer, Clench
VAUGHAN Emma (Mrs), New inn, New Mill
WEBB Thomas, boot maker
WELLS Edwin, farmer, Totridge

<back to Lucy's Marlborough & District Directory 1897

forward to Kelly's Directory 1903>

Home Page | Milton Lilbourne | The Romford Outrage | The Dagenham Murder | Foul Deeds book | Dagenham Girl Pipers | Talks and events | Site Map




Back to content | Back to main menu