Rhodes research


Go to content

Main menu:


Kelly's Directory 1907

Milton Lilbourne > Trade directory listings

from Kelly's Directory of Wiltshire, 1907

[Please note that the contents of this page have not yet been added to the surname index]

MILTON LILBOURNE
is a parish, 2 miles east from Pewsey station on the Great Western railway, and 7 south from Marlborough, in the Eastern division of the county, hundred of Kinwardstone, Ludgershall and Pewsey petty sessional division, union of Pewsey, Marlborough county court district, rural deanery of Marlborough (Pewsey portion), archdeaconry of Wilts and diocese of Salisbury. The Kennet and Avon canal passes through the northern portion of the parish at New Mill.

The church of St Peter is an ancient building of stone and dating originally from the 11th century, but now chiefly in the Early English style and consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 6 bells; the chancel was restored in 1864 and the whole church in 1875 at a cost of 845, under the direction of the late Mr
J.L. PEARSON R.A. when the founder's tomb was discovered in the north aisle : the church has 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1686. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 130, including 18 acres of glebe land and residence, in the gift of Mrs GALE, of Weston, Bath , and held since 1902 by the Rev. Herbert George Stewart MATHEWS B.A. of Corpus Christ College, Cambridge . Here is a Wesleyan chapel, built about 1854, and seating 50 persons.

Near Milton Hill is a large tumulus. Fyfield Manor House, the property of
Charles PENRUDDOCKE esq., is an ancient mansion in the Elizabethan style : Charles II once stayed at this house one night on his way to Newbury. Charles PENRUDDOCKE esq. D.L., J.P., of Compton Park, Salisbury, who is lord of the manor, the trustees of the Somerset Hospital, Froxfield, Sir Francis E.G. ASTLEY-CORBETT, bart., D.L., J.P., of 45 Cadogan gardens, London S.W., Edward SOMERSET, Edwin MERRIMAN, James Smith HAINES and George FERRIS esqs. are the principal landowners. The soil is sand and clay; subsoil, chalk and gravel. The chief crops are corn, roots and pasture land. The area is 3,502 acres; rateable value, 3,614; the population in 1901 was 532.

Clench is a tithing, 2 miles north; Fyfield is a tithing, 1 mile west; the hamlet of New Mill is 1 mile north; the hamlet of Little Salisbury, half a mile west.
Parish Clerk,
Charles STAGG.
Post, M.O. & T.O., S.B. & A. & I.Office. -
James DAY, sub-postmaster. Letters through Pewsey S.O. arrive at 7.10 am & 2.45 pm; sundays, 7.40 am; dispatched at 8 & 11.15 am & 6 pm; sundays, 10.55 am .
Wall letter box, Little Ann, cleared at 7.30 am & 12.5 & 6.30 pm; sunday, 11.45 am.
Wall letter box, New Mill, cleared at 7.10 am & 6.15 pm ; sunday, 11.20
The School Board, formed in 1876, has been dissolved by the Education Act of 1902, and the school is now controlled by a Board of Managers.
Elementary School (mixed), built in 1876, for 106 children; average attendance, 76;
John LANE, master
Carriers to Marlborough . -
Edward SPACKMAN, tues., thurs. & sat.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS


DIROM Mrs, Fyfield manor
FERRIS George, Manor house
FERRIS Mrs, the Vinery
FERRIS Thomas H.S., Roseland
FOX Alfred, Clench house
GALE Mrs, Havering House
GILBERT Mrs, Cumberland Cottage
JEANS Mark, King hall
LEWIS Mrs, Fern villa
MANNER Miss, Sunnylands
MATHEWS Rev. Herbert Geo. Stewart, B.A. (Vicar) Vicarage
PENRUDDOCKE Miss, Fyfield lodge
PLEYDELL-BOUVERIE The Hon. Frank, Fyfield house
PUCKRIDGE Percival M., the Grange
SAMUELLS Miss, Fyfield Manor
SCAMMELL Benjamin C., Sunnylands
SOMERSET Miss, Eastleigh

COMMERCIAL

CARTER Edward, dairy farmer
COLE Herbert D., farmer, Broomsgrove
DEW Herbert D.[sic] [should read Arthur O.] farmer, Milton farm
ELLIS Thos., rate collector, Littleworth
FERRIS & Puckridge, land & estate agents, valuers & auctioneers
FERRIS Simon, miller (water & steam), New Mill
FORD Henry John, farmer & cattle dealer, Abbey Farm
GILBERT Elijah, grocer, baker & draper
GILFORD Alfred, farmer, Fyfield
GILFORD Stephen, farmer, Fyfield
GOODMAN Jn, beer ret., Lit. Salisbury
HEAD John, thatcher
JEEVES William, farmer, The Lawn
MERCER Brothers, blacksmiths, agricultural implement makers, cycle & gramophone dealers
RAWLINS David, farmer, Clench
REYNOLDS A. Alfred, land measurer, Upper Farm
REYNOLDS Charles, baker & grocer
SPACKMAN Edward, carrier
SPACKMAN Henry, carpenter, Littlewrth
STAGG Frederick C., harness maker
VAUGHAN Emma (Mrs), New inn, New Mill
WEBB Thomas, boot maker
WELLS Edwin, farmer, Totridge

<back to Kelly's Directory 1903

Home Page | Milton Lilbourne | The Romford Outrage | The Dagenham Murder | Foul Deeds book | Dagenham Girl Pipers | Talks and events | Site Map




Back to content | Back to main menu