Rhodes research


Go to content

Main menu:


Lucy's Marlborough & District Directory 1897

Milton Lilbourne > Trade directory listings

from Lucy's Marlborough & District Directory 1897

[Please note that the contents of this page have not yet been added to the surname index]

Milton, or
Milton Lilbourne, 7 miles from Marlborough, 2 Pewsey, and 14 Devizes, is a village and parish in the Eastern Division of Wilts, and includes the tithings of Fifield and Clench. The hills south of the village have many indications of occupation by ancient Britons. There is a compact little village overlooking Fifield Farm, and there are a number of tumuli on Fifield Heath. At Broomsgrove, under Clench Hill, some British kilns were brought to light by men while digging stones. The kilns were explored by Mr B. Cunnington, FSA, and described by him in the Wilts Archaeological Magazine. The church of St Peter is a very ancient Gothic building, supposed to have been erected in the tenth century; it consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, with a square tower containing six bells; it was completely restored in 1875, the cost being defrayed by voluntary contributions. The living is a vicarage held by the Rev. C.F. Sweet. The Wesleyans have a chapel here. The area is 3502 acres. Milton Hill is 782 feet above the sea. Population in 1891 was 590.

Post Money Order Office, J. Day, sub-postmaster; nearest telegraph and railway station, Pewsey; money order and savings bank business transacted from 8am to 8pm; deliveries commence 7.10am and 2.50pm; box closes 10.55am and 6.0pm; on Sundays 11.0am. Wall box at New Mill cleared 7.20am, 6.15p, Sundays 11.10am. Postal address, Milton, Pewsey, Wilts.

Carriers:
Head, Marlborough, Sat; Spackman, Marlborough, Tues, Thurs & Sat.

ANNETTS, T, The Vinery
BARRETT, F. farmer, Sunny Lands
CARPENTER, W.A., Havering Lodge
DAY, J., machinist, post office
DEW, J., farmer, Milton Hill
ELLIS, T., farmer, Littleworth
FERRIS, G., estate surveyor, valuer
FERRIS Mrs, Manor House
FERRIS, S., miller, maltster, New Mill
FORD, J.H., clerk and farm bailiff
FOX, Alfred esq., Clench House
GALE, Mrs, Havering House
GILBERT, E., grocer, baker, &c.
GILFORD, A. & J., Fifield Farm
GOODMAN, J., Three Horse Shoes Inn
HEAD, J., farmer & carrier
JEANS, M., auctioneer, &c., King Hall
KINGSTONE, J.W., farmer, Broomsgrove
LANE, J., board schoolmaster
---------Fifield Manor House
LEWIS Mrs, Fern Cottage
LOVELOCK, J., bricklayer & farmer, Clench
MARTIN, W., Little Salisbury
PENRUDDOCKE Miss, Fifield Lodge
REDMAN, C., farmer
REYNOLDS, S., farmer, landmeasurer, castrator, wood dealer, &c.
REYNOLDS, A., landmeasurer, King Hall Farm
SKINNER, G., grocer & baker
SOMERSET Miss
SPACKMAN E.,
carrier
SPACKMAN S., carpenter
STRATTON A., farmer, Clench
SWEET, Rev. C.F., vicarage
VAUGHAN, E., New Inn, New Mill
WELLS, E., farmer, Totteridge

<back to Kelly's Directory 1889

forward to Kelly's Directory 1899>

Home Page | Milton Lilbourne | The Romford Outrage | The Dagenham Murder | Foul Deeds book | Dagenham Girl Pipers | Talks and events | Site Map




Back to content | Back to main menu