Rhodes research


Go to content

Main menu:


Post Office Directory 1875

Milton Lilbourne > Trade directory listings

from Post Office Directory of Wiltshire, 1875

[Please note that the contents of this page have not yet been added to the surname index]

Milton Lilbourne is a parish, in the Southern [sic] Division of the county, hundred of Kinwardstone, union of Pewsey, Marlborough county court district, diocese of Salisbury, archdeaconry of Wilts, and rural deanery of Marlborough, 7 miles south from Marlborough; it comprises three tithings, viz., Milton, Fifield and Clench, 2 miles east from Pewsey.
The church of St Peter, a very ancient Gothic structure, consists of chancel, nave, and north aisle, with square tower and 6 bells, and is supposed to have been erected about the tenth century; the chancel was restored in 1864; the whole of the church is now (1875) about to be completely restored. The register dates from 1686. The living is a vicarage, yearly value of 139 10s, exclusive of glebe lands and house, in the patronage of, and held by, the Rev.
John Henry Gale, BA, of Wadham College, Oxford. Here is a Wesleyan chapel. The Kennet and Avon Canal passes through the northern portion of the parish at New Mill. Charles Penruddocke, esq., Somerset Hospital, Froxfield, Sir J.D. Astley, bart., MP, J. Somerset esq., and Edwin Merriman, esq., are the principal landowners. The soil is sand and clay; subsoil chalk and gravel. The chief crops are corn, roots and grass. The area is 3, 502 acres; gross estimated rental, 4,927; rateable value 4,338; and the population in 1871 was 659.
Fyfield (or Fifield) Manor House has been the residence of the Penruddocke famiy for several generations; it is in the Elizabethan style.
Clench is a tithing, 2 miles north; the hamlet of New Mill is 1 mile north; the hamlet of Little Salisbury and Little Ann, 1 mile west.
Post Office
Elijah GILBERT, receiver. Letters through Pewsey, which is the post town, arrive at 7.30am; dispatched at 6pm; Sundays 11.5am. The nearest money order office is at Pewsey.
Parochial School (mixed), Mrs
Eliza STAGG, mistress.
Post Pillar Box is at Little Ann, cleared 6.30pm; Sunday, 11.30am.
Carrier-
George SPACKMAN, to Pewsey, Tuesday; to Devizes, Thursday; to Marlborough, Saturday.

Private residents

BURFITT Misses
CARTER George
CLACK
Mrs
FERRIS George, Manor House
FERRIS William, Manor House
GALE Rev John Henry, BA, JP, Vicarage
HAYWARD Mrs
HINTON Alfred M., Clench
HINTON Misses, Clench
KIMBER Charles, Havering House
PENRUDDOCKE Mrs, Fifield Manor House
SLEGG John
SOMERSET John
, King Hall
SOMERSET Mrs
UNTHANK David

Commercial

COX Charles Lydiard, New Inn, & shoe maker, New Mill
FERRIS, William & George, land & estate agents & valuers
GILBERT Elijah, grocer, baker, draper, & boot & show warehouse, Post Office
GOODMAN John, beer rtlr, Little Salisbury
HAINES Daniel, farmer
HEAD James, blacksmith
JARVIS John, miller & farmer, New Mill, & Totridge
JARVIS Henry, maltster & road surveyor for Pewsey district, New Mill
KEEVIL Joshua, farmer, Clench
KINGSTON James, farmer, Broomsgrove
PRICE Enos, farmer
REDMAN Charles, farmer
REYNOLDS Guy, farmer
REYNOLDS Shadrack, farmer, land measurer & collector of rates & taxes
SKINNER George, baker & carpenter
SOMERSET John, farmer & landowner
SPACKMAN George, carrier
SPACKMAN Stephen, carpenter
WELLS Frederick, farmer, Manor Farm, Fifield

<back to Post Office Directory 1867

forward to Kelly's Directory 1889>

Home Page | Milton Lilbourne | The Romford Outrage | The Dagenham Murder | Foul Deeds book | Dagenham Girl Pipers | Talks and events | Site Map




Back to content | Back to main menu